Thursday, July 12, 2007

RED VELVET, carpet or dessert?

Red velvet and that little boy's smile. Red velvet with that slow southern style. A new religion that'll bring you to your knees. Red velvet if you please. Or black velvet. Whatever. I never know the lyrics to songs.

Who invented red velvet? Who would think to ever add vinegar to a cake? Sounds strange, but apparently this results in a chemical reaction with the baking powder and buttermilk which deepens the signature red color of the cake. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Forgive me for not making this a triple-tiered cake. I only have two springform cake pans.

Need I say more?
Foodsnob

PS For more on this cake, check out this NY Times article.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never liked red velvet cake until I tried this one... hmmm...

Anonymous said...

People should read this.