Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Lemongrass Vodka

I just made some lemongrass vodka. I'm cooking up some PHO BO this weekend so I figured some "exotic Asian" cocktails would accompany the spring rolls quite nicely. It's so easy to make...I think the hardest part about making it is finding fresh lemongrass. What I do, then, is buy a ton of lemongrass whenever I'm down in Little Saigon and freeze it whole. Works like a charm. That way, whenever I'm in the mood for lemongrass beef over rice vermicelli noodles served with "nuoc mam" on the side, I can make it in a snap (sort of not really.)

To make this delicious vodka, just infuse vodka with freshly chopped lemongrass and steep for at least 24 hours and up to a week. Another way of adding a hint of this refreshing herb to your cocktail if you haven't prepared in advance is steeping it in your simple syrup, which is equal parts sugar to water, heated through until the sugar dissolves.

I think I'll make a lemongrass martini using the vodka, lime juice, and a touch of simple syrup, garnished with a kaffir leaf or piece of lemongrass. Or maybe I'll make a mojito with the vodka, freshly grated ginger, and muddled mint leaves. The possibilities are endless...

Try something exotic. Like I said months ago, lemongrass is the new lavendar.

Cheers!
Foodsnob

PS Thanks for the mason jars, opus2.

2 comments:

opus2 said...

you're welcome!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!