Sunday, July 22, 2007

Chocolate Makes Everything Better

There are two things that make the world go round--money and chocolate, but not necessarily in that order. This morning for breakfast I made banana bread. Bad idea. If you're hungry, make eggs and toast. By the time it was finished I was basically cramped over with hunger pangs, but it was worth it. You know why? Because I added dark chocolate chunks that's why!!

There are a bizillion recipes for banana bread out there, but you gotta own it. Using any standard banana bread recipe, make it your own. I like to add coconut and dark chocolate to mine, and even if you're not a fan of coconut, trust me on this one. Just like the carrot cake, the coconut adds just enough texture and interest, but doesn't overwhelm the bread.

Also, I like my banana bread to be extra moist, so instead of mashing the bananas to the consistency of mashed potatoes I use a fork and just break it up into small chunks. Add to your wet ingredients (sometimes I use buttermilk, but this morning I used Greek yogurt), making sure they are at room temperature, and fold in your sifted dry ingredients. As always, DO NOT OVERMIX. There's nothing worse than developing the gluten...

Wish you could have a bite and a sip of my tea latte,
Foodsnob

3 comments:

opus2 said...

so you wake up in the morning and you just happen to have bananas, coconut, greek yoghurt, dark chocolate chunks, etc. lying around?? amazing.

you're like robert rodriguez who, hungry at 4am, makes flour tortillas from scratch. At 4am.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z27W-JZHjC8

i promise not to overdevelop my glutens.

FoodSnob said...

doesn't everyone have a special place in their fridge for exactly these needs?

hmmm...i'm going to need to get up earlier next time...

you are completely allowed to overdevelop your glutes, just not your glutens.

Anonymous said...

trust me - I had only a slice - (wisely SNILA didn't let me near the whole loaf) but it was excellent. The dark chocolate was the a bonus indulgence!