Thursday, August 09, 2007

Berries for Breakfast

I think one of my favorite weekend breakfasts is challah french toast with a fresh berry compote. I get my challah from Canter's, always uncut...very un-Jewlike...oh, sorry, wrong blog. That way I can make my slices as thick as I like 'em to be. Mmm.

Anyway, if the berries are really sweet and fresh (which is such a rarity these days) I might opt for keeping them fresh sprinkled with some vanilla sugar and grated lemon zest. However, cooking them down a bit with some sugar and water usually results in a more palatable accompaniment to the toast. I even like to add maple syrup at the very end for that extra bit of sweetness.

It's really important to add your water and sugar at the beginning of cooking, as adding it later on will give you a gummy texture, and that's not delicious, is it?

Oh, and something else I like to do (there's ALWAYS something.) I buy a TON of berries at their peak season, freeze them on a flat tray so they don't stick to each other, then date and bag them. That way I have berries for months on end.

Add a little berry to your breakfast. Everybody's doing it!

Foodsnob

3 comments:

opus2 said...

how long do frozen berries keep in the freezer?

FoodSnob said...

after researching a while i found several articles which said properly frozen BLUEberries can last 2 years in the freezer, but i say if you're not using them within 2 months there is something seriously wrong with you.

who doesn't love berries? mine barely last 2 weeks!!

oooh, i love adding frozen raspberries to prosecco, or making blackberry mojitos straight out of the freezer.

Anne Stesney said...

Mmmm...I love me some berries. Especially those of the "blue" and "straw" variety, and ESPECIALLY this time of year, when they're in abundance at the NYC Farmers Market.
Good tip about the water. Didn't realize adding it later made compote gummy.