Monday, January 28, 2008

Variations on a theme of lemongrass

Since I still have a billion stalks of lemongrass, I've been trying to think of ways to use it up. I just made some more lemongrass vodka for my 5 PM smart cocktail and rubbed some bruised lemongrass on my neck and wrists. I also just made some lemongrass hand and cuticle cream, so what else? What else?

While in Laos I never sampled the grilled fish stuffed with lemongrass for one reason or another, and while I sampled plenty of the $0.30 oh-so-cheap-and-delicious dark Beerlao, I always told myself I'd try the fish. I guess I was too drunk or something.

Anyway, tonight for dinner I made a one-pot meal consisting of whole rainbow trout stuffed with lemongrass stalks and asparagus. After preheating my broiler I patted the fish dry and seasoned the inside and outside of the fish with salt and pepper. Using the back of my knife I bruised the lemongrass and stuffed it in the fish. To prep the asparagus I just drizzled with some olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper.

I hate hate hate cleaning, so I used aluminum foil to cover my baking pan. Six minutes per side and the flesh was perfect. I usually only broil asparagus for 7-9 minutes total but I was too lazy to add it later, hence the one-pot meal, or should I say one-baking pan meal. Still delicious, though!

Seriously, if you aren't squeamish about whole fish, try this one out let me know what you think. The fish is juicy with the most subtle hint of lemongrass. Takes me straight back to Laos...or what I think the fish would've tasted like had I actually been smart enough to eat it. It almost doesn't need the lime, but I love acid. Especially in the forest...what?

Wish you could have a bite and you should!
Foodsnob

No comments: