Thursday, February 07, 2008

If you want it then make it

I've gotta just face it. I'm getting older, and the metabolism is slowing down damn it. Plus, I'm not practicing martial arts twice a day and walking 5 miles like I used to. It's so tragic, really. Why am I being a whiny chick? My birthday just passed. Boo...er, it was actually amazing, as I was in Maui. I went scuba diving, saw humpback whales and sea turtles, and drank a lot of pina coladas. (Didn't really get drunk, though. For some reason none of them contained alcohol!)

However, the food was terrible! The best thing I ate was sashimi. Such a pity, because with all that fresh fish, you'd think they'd know how to grill a fish to perfection. I mean, why list the name of Joe the Fisherman who caught your Ahi this afternoon at 4 PM when you're going to drown the fish in soy sauce or smother it in a creamy oversalted sauce until it's inedible? For real.

I might have to say that fish and chips was one of the best meals I had. Can't go wrong with frying fish (and I wonder why I need to lose 10 lbs.) and serving them with chips. So, I've decided that this year, if I want something, I'm going to have to make it. Exempli gratia: POTATO CHIPS.

After the Super Bowl, where we gorged on pizza, chicken wings, club sandwiches, and chips, I've had a hankering for Kettle Chips. Oh man I hadn't had chips in AGES, so today for lunch I decided I should make steak sandwiches with caramelized onions and gorgonzola with fresh potato chips and continue that Super Bowl theme.

To make chips, you do need a mandoline, unless you want to spend a lot of time slicing those potatoes paper thin...I sorta just cut them and dropped them in oil, and when they were done I drained on paper towels and sprinkled with freshly ground sea salt and black pepper. Make sure you don't overcrowd your pan or else it'll drop the temperature of the oil (around 350). Divine. Crunchy and delicious(ly bad for you). Oh well, you only live once. Guess I'll never be a ninja.

I'd better go on that run...

Wish you could have a sea salty bite,
Foodsnob

1 comment:

Laugh It Off said...

I love youre style. THis will make a wonderful book or something.

We need to brainstorm about this!