Monday, January 21, 2008

THERE WILL BE BLOOD Orange Martinis


I remember when I was in Italy 8 years ago (wow) enjoying breakfast when an American voice boomed out, "Do you have REGULAR orange juice?" Oh my goodness I wanted to punch them in the freakin' face. Io non sono Americana...errr...Ich bin ein Berliner?

There's nothing more beautiful than the marbling of an arancia rosa. Che bella. And when you squeeze that juicy goodness into a martini, it's like drinking in the sunset in Sorrento. Or 3rd Beach in Cape Town. Or Angkor Wat. Or...you get the point.

Apparently today is the most depressing day of the year, so make yourself a martini!

Here's how I make mine:

2 parts vodka (plain or mandarin)
1 part Cointreau or Grand Marnier
1 part fresh lime juice (please none of the bottle stuff)
1 part fresh blood orange juice

Shake vigorously with ice and serve in chilled martini glasses. Or not. Garnish with zest of orange.

Wish you could have a sip,
Foodsnob

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. I stumbled across your blog, since I wrote a post about Blood Orange Juice on my food blog, Nibbles of Tidbits. I like the title of this post. Here's my Blood Orange Martini link if interested :)

Thanks, Shelly
http://www.ineedtext.com/FoodBlog/?p=1197