Thursday, January 24, 2008

Rainy weather, hot chocolate

Having lived in New York before heading to Los Angeles, I'm ashamed to say that I get cold when the weather dips below 80 degrees. However, it's a great excuse to drink plenty of hot liquids, especially during this rainy "season." I know a couple of people who don't enjoy hot drinks. That makes me sad, but then I'll make myself an earl grey latte and be happy again. Yippee!

So my brother asked me for a hot chocolate recipe, and because I change it up every time I wanted to make sure I could give him exact measurements. Here's how I made mine (the other day...). Who knows what today may bring?

1 cup milk (whole if you want to be super indulgent)
1/4 cup half & half
2 oz. freshly chopped dark chocolate, preferably 71% Valrhona
1 heaping T unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Valrhona or Scharffenberger
1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
1 T sugar, or to taste
pinch of salt

Whisk together ingredients over low heat until melted and hot and delicious. Top off with freshly whipped cream and a sprig of mint. Or just drink it like I did, but don't burn your tongue (like I did.)

Wish you could have a cocoa-licious sip,
Foodsnob

No comments: