Friday, June 29, 2007

The Incredible Edible Egg

Remember that jingle? Love it. But what I don't love are green rings around the yolks of hard-boiled eggs. Tastes fine, looks unattractive. So how to avoid it?

STEP 1: Place eggs in a medium saucepan. Cover with cold water an inch above the eggs.

STEP 2: Heat until water boils rapidly. (Large bubbles breaking the surface).

STEP 3: Cover, remove from heat, and let sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare a ice bath (water and ice) in a large bowl.

STEP 4: When 10 minutes are up, place eggs in ice bath for at least 5 minutes. This helps to separate the shell from the egg, preventing tearing.

STEP 5: Remove eggs, deshell, and enjoy.

You should have gorgeous, bright yellow creamy centers and perfectly cooked whites. Enjoy with salt and pepper, devil them, or make a delicious egg salad. Not just any egg salad...a delicious egg salad.

The color yellow is a beautiful color.

Foodsnob

4 comments:

opus2 said...

Thanks for the lesson, Foodsnob! Here are my questions, from when I try to do these things:

Rule 1: isn't that a lot of water? Don't the eggs kinda float?

uh...i guess that's my only question.

Thanks - Your faithful student.

FoodSnob said...

Oh Grasshopper you are so cute. The eggs don't float. Second, how big of a saucepan are you using? The water must cover the eggs completely, maybe not by an inch, but so long as they are fully submerged.

Your faithful teacher.

FoodSnob said...

yellow is my favorite color.

Unknown said...

I have tried and tested this method - even at 6000 feet above sea level. It's brilliant and has changed my egg boiling ways. I've never been so excited about eggs in all my life! lol...