Friday, February 15, 2008

Cobble Cobble

Blueberry cobbler, that is, only the best kind of cobbler in the WORLD because it combines one of my favorite foods--BISCUITS--with another one of my favorite foods--BLUEBERRIES (which I've written about many other times, as in blueberry pancakes and blueberry muffins. I just wish I could incorporate BACON into the recipe somehow...) I'm berries for blueberries, or "bluebs" as I like to call them. Rhymes with boobs. Or moobs (man boobies.) Call me immature.

Anyway, I wish I could lay claim to this particular recipe but I actually follow a real recipe from Baking Illustrated (not that my other recipes aren't REAL.) This just works extremely well and I love the added crunch from the corn meal, and the addition of vanilla. I never would've guessed to use vanilla in a biscuit topping. Luscious.

For biscuit topping...

Combine dry ingredients:

1 cup AP flour
2 T cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar

Wet ingredients:
1/3 cup buttermilk
4 T melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla

Set aside.

BLUEBS:

6 cups bluebs
1/2 cup sugar, depending on the sweetness of the berries
1 T cornstarch
pinch salt
pinch cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp grated zest plus 1 T juice from lemon

Preheat oven to 375. Combine blueberries with the rest of the filling ingredients and place in ramekins or a 9-inch glass baking dish. I think the ramekins make a sexier dessert, with all the juices running over the side. Hot. Place in oven until blueberries are bubbling around the sides, about 25 minutes.

While blueberries are baking, mix the dry ingredients together. Combine the butter, buttermilk and vanilla and set aside. As soon as the berries are ready, combine the wet and dry ingredients until JUST mixed, and spoon or pinch over the berries.

Increase oven temp to 425 and bake until biscuit topping is golden, about 15 - 18 minutes. Cool for 20 minutes and serve with homemade French vanilla ice cream, or handwhipped cream. I bet a little mascarpone would be good as well...can't go wrong.

Wish you could have a sexy bite,
Foodsnob

1 comment:

L2 said...

You are making me hungry! You and your evil cobblers...