Thursday, January 04, 2007

A SLOW Week

Photo: Quyen's beef stew served with asparagus, carrots, and garnished with parsley.

I LOVE BRAISING, stews, soups... Does that make me a lazy cook? Or a crazy cook? Whatever. I love it, and so should you. Turn cheap into luxurious--a rags to riches story every time, without fail.

This past week has been uber slow in terms in cooking. That is, long hours for every dish, and loving every minute of it. After having been spoonfed by my mom as my muscles atrophied over the holidays, I didn't think I would have missed cooking my own food so much until I got back to LA. Sure it's nice to not have to cook and have every meal--whatever your heart desired--prepared for you with absolute love, but I must say it was too easy. I can only imagine what it was like for our hunting and gathering ancestors. Any man who comes to me with a bison draped over his back will win my heart forever...or maybe a paycheck and a set of good knives will do.

Anyway, this week was ridiculous. I cooked all 3 meals every day. I was on fire. Literally...just now I made carrot ginger soup and seared mahi mahi with herb butter for lunch, and my fish caught on fire. Forget about waxing those eyebrows. I'll follow up with my carrot soup recipe later for all the vegetarians out there...

The cheap in me finds incredible pleasure in turning inexpensive cuts into gold. You can find meat as cheap as $1.99 / lb under the label "chuck" or "stew meats." I had a slight cold this week so decided to make a hearty beef stew. The secret to developing flavor lies in really really SEARING well seasoned (S&P) meat in a very hot pan, until all sides are a dark, rich brown. The rest is easy, but if you take the time to do this first step (and it does require patience), you can't go wrong.

So after you've done that, remove the meat (cut into chunks), set aside, turn the heat down and add your onions. Sweat until translucent, add the bouquet garni, red wine, carrots, add the meat back in, fill with water or stock to cover the meat by at least a third ABOVE the meat, and simmer for several hours. The meat will melt in your mouth. Perfection guaranteed. (I like to make my stews in a Dutch oven, placed in a 325 degree oven for several hours, but you can do it on the stove top in a heavy bottomed pot over a low flame.)

Try it. You'll love it. Other dishes I made will follow when I get back from (another holiday).

Wish you could have a bite,
Quyen

PS What do to with heavy cream and herbs so they don't go to waste? Make a rich dark chocolate ice cream from Valrhona 71% cacao and herb butter. Duh. Or, chop your herbs, place them in ice cube trays and water, freeze and you'll have fresh herbs all year round.

3 comments:

opus2 said...

Honestly, people who don't know what to do with leftover heavy cream and herbs do not deserve to be reading this blog. I mean, come on.

Thanks for the cooking tips. I plan to try every one of your suggestions this week as I cook all three of my meals everyday.



















(pause)












NOT.

Anonymous said...

Hey Q,

This wont be a very food orientated comment since it's a hello from SA from the two moffies you met there. Richard and Bryce.

F**k, we're hot!!

Just thought we'd say that we think of you lots and Bryce caught himself singing what-would-roger-deakins-do while stuck in traffic this morning.

Richard keeps pedalling crack on whatever shoot he is!

Love you! Come to Cape town. Screw joburg.
Richie and brycie

FoodSnob said...

I miss you two moffies as well. I hope to come to CT soon so I can cook for you and then blog about it...

Bryce, you still owe me a springbok pie. Richard, you owe me some crack.

Xoxoxo