Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Lesson Learned

Photo: I usually scrape out the gills of portobelli, especially when making a tomato sauce, as they tend to darken the mixture.

The other night I had a dinner party where I completely experimented with the entree and side dishes. Very bad idea. Usually I'm on time with dinner, but this time I served an hour and fifteen after guests had arrived. Yes, I am human, and no, I'm not perfect. However, complete disaster was averted thanks to the dishes turning out great and initially disgruntled guests leaving happy and drunk (but not too drunk to drive, mind you!)

Here's what was on the menu:

To start, a cheese and chartucerie platter consisting of parmeggiano reggiano, pecorino romano, gruyere, salame and soppresata, dried figs, crostini and homemade pesto. Thank goodness since dinner was taking so damn long!

Main course:
Roasted Cornish hens
Braised Kale
Soft Polenta with Portobello, Sage, and Pancetta

Dessert:
Pear Galette with Homemade French Vanilla Ice Cream

I was worried that the side dishes would overpower the hens, but they stood up to the challenge.

Something I've started doing lately is roasting birds with their necks and livers in the bottom of the roasting pan. I placed the hens atop onions, stuffed them with garlic, lemon, thyme, and slipped medallions of herb butter under their skins. I think next time I will sear the skins on the stove before placing them in the oven to roast, as their skins could've been browner. Even though I dried the skins best I could and rubbed them with oil, it was hard to get that dark tan without overcooking. The butter under the skin does help, however. Lesson learned.

So after removing the birds from the roasting pan, I placed the pan with the livers, onions, and necks, over the stovetop and deglazed with white wine. The roasted bits really add great flavor to the jus, as opposed to just the drippings. Try it!

I served the birds on a bed of braised kale and the soft polenta in small bowls. For dessert another disaster averted...barely. I went to my favorite store which was CLOSED, so I couldn't get my fresh berries for the galette. Instead, I had to go next door to an inferior produce mart and get some pears. I probably should've roasted the pears for the galette, but had no time, so they were a little al dente. However, the crust, a pasta frolla, was fantastic (it's made with corn meal so it can withstand juicy fillings and has that extra crunch) and of course you can't go wrong with ice cream!!!

Phew. Next time I will test recipes before serving them at a dinner party. Just another excuse to keep cooking, really.

Save those giblets!!!
Quyen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is too advanced. Once in a while, can't you just talk about boiling an egg or something?

Juuuust kidding. (I'll figure out how to boil an egg myself).

Loved your dinner menu. as always, wish i could've been there.

But... "portebelli"???

FoodSnob said...

Actually, I have a specific way of boiling eggs so you never get a green ring around the yolk. Ha ha ha.

Wish you could've been there as well! As for portobelli, that's just the plural of portobello in Italian, or sometimes portabello.

Jennifer Kim said...

sounds delicious. any chance you and your dinner menu will be visiting austin anytime soon? ;)

my (much less impressive) cooking accomplishment was roasting my first whole chicken, and i must say that it turned out quite well for a first attempt although there are a few things i might try differently next time.

it was a simple recipe -- slather with olive oil, lots of s&p, stuff cavity with fresh rosemary and garlic cloves. serve with roasted potatoes and asparagus. yum. :)