Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Maximizing your Oven - Part I

PHOTO: Quyen's Espresso Gelato, made from beets...well, maybe not. OK, more heavy cream I know I know. But, the beets balance out the cream!

If I'm going to use the oven, I'm getting the most out of making the house a toasty place. A few days ago I think I completely maximized oven time--here's what I made for dinner.

OVEN-roasted Beets with Frisee and Goat Cheese
OVEN-roasted Tomato Basil Soup with OVEN-roasted Garlic
Salmon en Papillote
Chocolate Souffle with Espresso Gelato

Unfortunately, however, I forgot to charge my camera batteries, so I don't have any pics from the actual night.

Anyway, beets are fantastic and good for you. It sounds a little wasteful, but you must individually wrap them in foil before roasting. Just drizzle with olive oil, wrap, and roast for 45 minutes to an hour, or until tender. Let cool, and the skin should come right off. I use a towel for more friction. Expect to get your hands dirty, and don't be scared later on when you use the restroom...

Beets were created to be dressed with an acidic dressing. For this occasion, I made a vinaigrette of sherry vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, and fresh herbs (parsley, chervil, and basil) which I tossed with the frisee right before serving. Other times I'll make a dressing from orange and lemon juice and zest, white vinegar, and olive oil, and also serve orange wedges (blood oranges if they're in season). They're also high in folate, dietary fiber and antioxidants.


Eat some beets!
Quyen

PS I will describe the other items on the menu in upcoming entries. Stay tuned for Parts II - IV of "Maximizing Your Oven."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm not sure i've ever eaten a beet in my life. maybe once but i forget. what does it do to your pee?

L2 said...

Hey Q:

Delicious site! When you get a chance, check out my friend Matt's blog, another foodie and photographer...DELISH!

http://mattbites.com/

http://flickr.com/photos/matthewa/sets/135232/

Cheers!

FoodSnob said...

hint: it doesn't do what asparagus does. rather, what do you think would happen if you drank a gallon of beet red dye? exactly. it doesn't only affect your pee, either. it's awesome.

opus2 said...

... it doesn't ONLY affect your pee...? EXCITING!